Exemplory instance of comparison essay in theory of literature: the difference between classicism and sentimentalism
Literature is an unique types of art that can help to understand the present-day history and also to know the way the main tendencies of social development in the past were created.
Come up with formation of designs at the start of essay
The aesthetics of classicism, which developed in Western European culture during the end of the seventeenth century, determined the ideological content of literary works, the strict system of poetic rules as well as the maxims of plot construction, reflecting the notion of orderliness and perfection associated with universe, nature and culture.
The “sensitive” literature of sentimentalism that emerged within the second half for the eighteenth century was designed to show and educate on examples and pictures that can cause empathy, which awakens high feelings, guided by the indisputable fact that all evil can be overcome.
In our literature as much as the beginning of the XIX century, classicism and sentimentalism developed, complementing each other and pursuing the same goal: which will make society perfect, by affirming the logical principles of morality therefore the rules of human behavior. How to achieve this goal into the philosophy of classicism had been thought as the assertion associated with supremacy of order, form, hierarchy and were centered on an obvious division of creative designs and genres. The theorists of classicism paid special attention to drama and poetry. Epic poems and tragedies in which the foundation associated with the plot is without question important historic activities, and actors – the gods and strongest of this globe, demanded a lofty poetic composition, ruled spatial turns. These people were attributed to the “high” genre.
The spoken language and stylistically lowered images could only be contained in satires, fables and comedies, which fixed this is of “low” genres. Obligatory observance of this unity of the time, place, action and guidelines of constructing tragedy and drama with visibility, zygote, growth of action, culmination and resolution limited the likelihood of stage-based discovery of images, but emphasized the inviolability of order, the text of cause and impact, quality expression associated with main notion of the job. Sentimentalism allowed more freely to use the way of artistic expression. Attention to household details, a description of emotional experiences, the image of this internal realm of guy along with his closeness to nature demanded and new literary forms. The epistolary genre, sentimental novel, travel records come in the literary works. The introduction of sentimentalism greatly expanded the number of choices of artistic prose and caused it to be more democratic: the eye of both writers and readers was the fate of a regular individual, clear, close, causing interest and compassion.
In closing of essay give brief comparison of designs
Therefore, the essential difference between classicism and sentimentalism can be as follows:
- The topic of the image within the works of classicism are essential, significant occasions that determine the fate of someone who is obliged to obey the established order therefore the determined program of events.
- In the exact middle of attention of article writers – sentimentalists – the inner realm of heroes, with the capacity of deeply feel and experience.
- Classicism is really a literary trend when the basis associated with artistic method could be the division of works into “high”, “medium” and “low” website link genres.
- Sentimentalism doesn’t have such a division, because its task is always to educate the sensory faculties, using many visual method for this purpose.
- The primary genres of classicism are the epic poem, tragedy, ode, drama, heroic story, comedy, satire and fable.
- Genres attribute of sentimentalism are a definite novel, letters, diaries, travel notes.
- Classicalism argued educational a few ideas on the basis of the subordination of personal feelings of debt to society.
- Representatives of sentimentalism considered the inner world of heroes as a harmonious whole.
- They believed that educating a single person, you can easily increase the whole society.